The Environmental Technology division in CLRI helps Indian Leather and allied Industries to manage the liquid, solid and gaseous pollutants generated during the manufacturing processes. Chrome recovery and reuse , water recovery and reuse from tannery effluents by Reverse Osmosis , enzymatic liquefaction of fleshing , energy recovery from leather fleshings with CETP sludge , chromed leather shavings waste, slaughterhouse solid wastes ,whole sale vegetable market complex waste are some of the accomplished results. Design from Environmental Technolgy Division ,commission, execution and performance evaluation of Common Effluent Treatment Plants (CETP/ETPs/STPs) through high rate anaerobic (UASB) and aerobic (MBR) technologies have been accredited credibly well by the end users. Certain patented technologies of Environmental Technology Division ready for commercial applications are;
- CAACO (Chemo Autotrophic Activated Carbon Oxidation ), FACCO (Fenton Activated Carbon Catalytic Oxidation ) ENICO (Enzyme Immobilised Carbon Oxidation ) and ECO ( Electro Catalytic Oxidation )
- Removal of ammonia from wastewater containing high TDS and high COD,
- Removal of Cyano toxins from domestic wastewater, Recovery of Sodium chloride from RO reject evaporated residue for reuse applications,
- Insitu removal of heavy metal from contaminated soil ,
- Recovery of energy from hazardous leather solid wastes with CETP sludges,
- Destruction of volatile aromatic hydrocarbons ,
- Removal of sulphide from wastewater without sludge production ,
- Destruction of pathogens from treated wastewater without application chlorinated inorganic compounds
Research activities of the Environmental Technology Division under exploration to address the current environmental issues of industries are:
- RO Reject management without multiple effect evaporator,
- Sludge free green/clean/white energy based wastewater and solid waste management by Upflow Anaerobic Sludge Blanket reactor(UASB), photo-bioreactor
- Bio-refinery for the sequential production of bio-diesel, bioethanol, biohydrogen and biomethane using leather and slaughterhouse solid wastes.
- Modified UASB, photo-bioreactors, and submerged anaerobic / aerobic membrane bio-reactors, Environment Impact Assessment (EIA), Environmental Audit (EA), and Environmental/Energy Management Systems (EMS) and organizing training programme for Environmental issues are some of the ongoing activities of Environmental Technology Division.
- The Environmental Technology Division has been the Center for empowering the Ph. D , M.Tech , M.Phil ,M.Sc and MS students in Environmental Engineering/Science/Technology by national/ internationally educated Scientists.